How to appeal a ZBA Decision?

The rights of parties to appeal zoning board decisions are governed by a statute, Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 40A, Section 17. Under Section 17, only a “person aggrieved” by a decision of a local zoning board has standing to bring a court appeal of that decision. Appeals may be filed in either Superior Court or Land Court within 20 days of the decision being filed with the Town Clerk. You will need a certified copy of the decision from the Town Clerk in order to file the court appeal. A copy of the court appeal must also be submitted to the Town Clerk with copies sent to all board members. 

If you wish to appeal a decision, you are urged to promptly consult an attorney because the time periods are short and strictly enforced.

Show All Answers

1. What is my zoning district?
2. How do I know what laws apply to my project?
3. What if I want to construct a new home, addition, or new business?
4. What is Zoning?
5. What is the difference between the Zoning Code and the Building Code?
6. What if my proposed structure or use is not allowed by the Zoning Bylaws?
7. What are zoning nonconformities?
8. Can zoning nonconformities legally continue to exist?
9. Can zoning nonconformities be enlarged?
10. When can zoning nonconformities be replaced as they currently exist?
11. When must zoning nonconformities be replaced to conform with current zoning requirements?
12. Why did I receive a hearing notice?
13. What should I expect at the public hearing?
14. What are the zoning requirements regarding sheds?
15. What is a Zoning Freeze?
16. What are the ZBA's public hearing protocols?
17. How to appeal a ZBA Decision?
18. What is the difference between a special permit and a variance?
19. Medfield Zoning Info for Homeowners and Realtors
20. We want a pool; what should we be aware of?