Can zoning nonconformities be enlarged?

Generally, no. However, a nonconforming parcel (substandard lot) and nonconforming residential use (lot size, perfect square, setbacks, etc.) may be enlarged under certain circumstances and with some restrictions. The Building Commissioner is authorized to make certain Section 6 findings during the building permit review process. If the project proposes to make existing nonconformities worse or create new nonconformities, please speak with the Town Planner for an application to the ZBA. All teardowns on nonconforming lots require a special permit from the ZBA.

Show All Answers

1. What is my zoning district?
2. How do I know what laws apply to my project?
3. What if I want to construct a new home, addition, or new business?
4. What is Zoning?
5. What is the difference between the Zoning Code and the Building Code?
6. What if my proposed structure or use is not allowed by the Zoning Bylaws?
7. What are zoning nonconformities?
8. Can zoning nonconformities legally continue to exist?
9. Can zoning nonconformities be enlarged?
10. When can zoning nonconformities be replaced as they currently exist?
11. When must zoning nonconformities be replaced to conform with current zoning requirements?
12. Why did I receive a hearing notice?
13. What should I expect at the public hearing?
14. What are the zoning requirements regarding sheds?
15. What is a Zoning Freeze?
16. What are the ZBA's public hearing protocols?
17. How to appeal a ZBA Decision?
18. What is the difference between a special permit and a variance?
19. Medfield Zoning Info for Homeowners and Realtors
20. We want a pool; what should we be aware of?