Medfield State Hospital
The special town meeting (STM) on June 21, 2022 went quickly, and resulted in a virtually unanimous vote to proceed with the Land Disposition Agreement (LDA) with Trinity Financial to build 334 units of rental apartments (25% affordable) in the existing buildings at the former Medfield State Hospital site. Almost 700 residents were spread out between the gym, a tent in front of MHS, and a separate air conditioned area for seniors in the MHS library.
The Select Board and Trinity signed the LDA after the meeting. Next, Trinity will begin its permitting.
Special Town Meeting: June 21, 2022
At the Special Town Meeting on June 21, 2022, Town Meeting voted to approve both articles:
- Article 1 to authorize the Board of Selectmen to enter into a Land Disposition Agreement with Trinity Financial for a portion of the Medfield State Hospital to redevelop the structures into 334 rental units, 25% of which would be affordable
- Article 2 to make a technical correction to the Medfield State Hospital District in the Zoning Bylaw to allow for the redevelopment of Building 13
More information about the Special Town Meeting is available here: https://www.town.medfield.net/2106/2022-Special-Town-Meeting
Land Disposition Agreement
The Land Disposition Agreement ("LDA") between Trinity Financial and the Town of Medfield is available for review here. The Board of Selectmen voted to sign the LDA at their meeting on June 14, 2022.
The LDA sets out important terms of the transaction, including:
- Land to be acquired which is approximately 45 acres north of Hospital Road
- The Town will retain the areas known as: the Green, Arboretum, North Field, Water Tower Parcel
- Purchase price of $2 million
- $1 million mitigation payment to the Medfield Public Schools
- Trinity's commitment to fund improvements to three key intersections: Harding/Hospital, Harding/West, and Harding/North
- Reimbursement of Town costs up to $500,000 during the due diligence phase and through construction, such as legal fees, Special Town Meeting expenses, and consultant fees
- Trinity’s responsibility for environmental remediation
- Trinity’s obligation to fund all infrastructure associated with the project.
Due Diligence and Peer Reviews
Trinity Financial's Due Diligence information is available on this page alongside the Town's peer review reports.
MSH Redevelopment Newsletters
04/22/2022 - MSH Redevelopment News - The Disposition Process
04/29/2022 - MSH Redevelopment News - Selling & Keeping
05/06/2022 - MSH Redevelopment News - Historic Preservation
05/13/2022 - MSH Redevelopment News - Trinity's Proposal
05/20/2022 - MSH Redevelopment News - MSH Q&A
05/27/2022 - MSH Redevelopment News - Due Diligence Reports
06/03/2022 - MSH Redevelopment News - Save the Date & More Q&A
06/10/2022 - MSH Redevelopment News - Trinity Due Diligence Q&A
06/15/2022 - MSH Redevelopment News - Water & Sewer
Presentations and Meeting Videos
Trinity Financial Public Information Session on June 9, 2022:
School Committee meeting on June 8, 2022:
- Trinity Financial's Presentation
- Click here to watch video of the School Committee meeting.
Warrant Committee meeting on June 6, 2022:
- Click here to watch the video from the Warrant Committee meeting
- Trinity Financial's Presentation
- Medfield State Hospital Development Committee Presentation
Trinity Financial Public Information Session on May 18, 2022
- Click here to watch the video from the info session.
Medfield State Hospital Development Committee listening session on April 6, 2022
- Click here to view the video from the Listening Session
- The presentation is available here.
Update - March 30, 2022
On March 22, 20222, the Board of Selectmen voted to name an affiliate of Trinity Financial as the designated developer of the Medfield State Hospital and enter into a Provisional Designation Agreement with Trinity. This designation, which is provisional, kicks off a period of additional due diligence for both parties ahead of a Special Town Meeting in June 2022, when voters will consider whether to approve a proposed sale of portions of the hospital campus.
During this period of due diligence, Trinity will have access to the Medfield State Hospital buildings and grounds for continued evaluation of existing conditions, to conduct environmental assessments and other studies, and to further develop its proposal for the campus. Trinity's consultants have been onsite everyday since March 29, 2022 conducting due diligence inside the existing buildings. They expect to be onsite through April 15.
Simultaneously, the Medfield State Hospital Development Committee will initiate its next phase of evaluation of the proposal, including an updated analysis of impacts and benefits to the Medfield community. Trinity’s proposal is intended to fund all of the project’s infrastructure costs as part of the construction and according to Trinity’s projections is expected to generate over $700,000 per year in net tax revenues to the Town once complete.
Request for Proposals and Proposal Evaluation Timeline
The Town of Medfield released a Request for Proposals for the Medfield State Hospital on Monday, April 5, 2021. Proposals were due on Monday, August 2, 2021 at 11 am. The Request for Proposals was developed by the Medfield State Hospital Development Committee prior to submission to the Medfield Board of Selectmen. Proposals will be evaluated by the Medfield State Hospital Development Committee. The Request for Proposals and the posted addenda that were released by the Town can be accessed at this link: https://www.town.medfield.net/2003/Medfield-State-Hospital-RFP
On Monday, August 2, 2021, the Town received two proposals, which can be accessed here: https://www.town.medfield.net/2004/Redevelopment-Proposals
On Monday, August 23, 2021 the Medfield State Hospital Development Committee interviewed Trinity Financial regarding its redevelopment proposal. The video can be viewed on YouTube here. On Thursday, August 26, 2021 the Medfield State Hospital Development Committee interviewed Pulte Homes. The video can be viewed on YouTube here.
On November 2, 2021, the Board of Selectmen voted unanimously to designate the proposal submitted by Trinity Financial of Boston, MA as the most advantageous proposal. The Board of Selectmen further authorized the Medfield State Hospital Development Committee to negotiate a provisional development agreement with Trinity Financial for its review.
On Tuesday, March 22, 2022, the Board of Selectmen voted to approve an agreement with Trinity Financial to provide for a period of due diligence regarding their proposed redevelopment.
Please contact Assistant Town Administrator Nicholas Milano with any questions at email@example.com or 781-856-5287.
Additional information about the Medfield State Hospital can be found here: https://www.town.medfield.net/556/Medfield-State-Hospital-information