Voting Absentee

Absentee Ballot Eligibility

To qualify for an absentee ballot, you must:

  • Be away from your town on Election day; or 
  • Have a disability that keeps you from voting at your polling place; or 
  • Have a religious belief that prevents you from voting at your polling place on Election Day

Applying for an Absentee Ballot

Absentee ballots must be requested in writing no later than noon on the day before the election.  If the election is on a Monday, the applications must be requested by noon on the Friday before the election.  Applications are available for download, but any written request is acceptable if it has your signature on it. A member of your family may also make the request on your behalf.

Make sure you include:

  • Your name as registered
  • Your address as registered
  • The place you would like the ballot mailed
  • Ward and Precinct (if you know them), and
  • Your signature.  
  • If you are requesting a primary ballot and you are unenrolled (independent), be sure to indicate which party's ballot you want to have mailed to you.

Applications can be submitted by mail or in-person. Make sure to apply as early as possible.

All absentee ballots shall be received by the town clerk in the town clerk's office before the hour fixed for closing the polls.  No absentee ballots will be accepted at polling locations.  All envelopes received by the clerks office after the hour fixed for closing the polls on the day of the election shall be retained by them unopened until the time set by law for the destruction of ballots cast, at which time the envelopes shall likewise be destroyed, unopened and unexamined.

Requesting to Vote in Person

If you prefer, you may request to vote in person before election day. The application for your ballot must be made no later than noon of the day before the election. A voter may apply for an absentee ballot and then voter over-the-counter during the same visit.

What if I Am Permanently Disabled?

If you are permanently physically disabled and cannot cast your vote at the polling place, you may file a letter from your physician with your Town Clerk stating that you are permanently unable to cast your vote at the polling place because of physical disability. A completed application for an absentee ballot for you to sign and return will be mailed to you at the beginning of every year.