The Planning Board is comprised of five voting members who are elected for a five year term:
- Chair – Seth Meehan (exp. 2023)
- Vice Chair – Paul McKechnie (exp. 2024)
- Clerk – James Brand (exp. 2025)
- Member – Sarah Lemke (exp. 2026)
- Member – Teresa James (exp. 2022)
- Blake McDermott, Associate (annual appt exp. 2022)
- Jamie Sullivan, Associate (annual appt exp. 2022)
- 7:30 p.m.
- First and third Monday of the month
- Chenery Room (second floor meeting room)
Medfield Town House
459 Main Street
Medfield, MA 02052
Correspondence for Board members may be submitted to: email@example.com or Planning Board, 459 Main Street, Medfield, MA 02052
Planning Board Documents
- Downtown Sidewalk Design Guidelines Endorsed by PB 10-20-14 (PDF)
- PB Surety Release Request - Road Construction Complete - 2015 (PDF)
- Planning Board Rules, Regulations, Policies, and Procedures - January 2018 (PDF)
- Change of Use Determination - PB Review (PDF)
- PB Application Updated Summer 2020 (PDF)
Project Applications Submitted to the Planning Board
8/2/21 - ANR - Bryan and Jacquelyn Cotter, 6 Spruce Way, Parcel ID 66-044, for the purpose of creating two additional lots with frontage on Shining Valley Circle App and Plan with supporting info
6/21/21 - ANR - Town of Medfield, Hinkley South Extra Parcels (off Ice House Road) App and Plan
6/21/21 - Change of Use Determination - Kindred Arts Gallery, 38 Park Street - Porchfest Grand Opening with Live Music Application
6/21/21 - Change of Use Determination - Clodhopper Farm Vegetable Stand at Lovells parking area, 154 Main Street Application
Types of Applications Reviewed by the Planning Board
- Approval Not Required (ANR)
- Definitive Subdivision Plans
- Preliminary Subdivision Plans
- Site Plan Approval Application with Planning Board Rules and Regulations
- PVOD Special Permit Application
- Two-Family Dwellings Special Permit Application
- Multi-Family Developments Special Permit Application
- Upper Spring Street Overlay District
- Change of Use Determination
Land Use Regulations Links
- 2012 Planning Board Minutes
- 2011 Planning Board Minutes
- 2010 Planning Board Minutes
- 2009 Planning Board Minutes
- 2008 Planning Board Minutes
- 2007 Planning Board Minutes
- 2006 Planning Board Minutes
- 2005 Planning Board Minutes
- 2004 Planning Board Minutes
- 2003 Planning Board Minutes
- 2002 Planning Board Minutes
- 2001 Planning Board Minutes
- 2000 Planning Board Minutes
- 1992-1999 Planning Board Minutes
- 1990-1991 Planning Board Minutes
- 1986-1989 Planning Board Minutes
- 1984 - 1986 Planning Board Minutes
- 1975 Planning Board Minutes
- 1971 Planning Board Minutes
- 1972 Planning Board Minutes
- 1958 - 1969 Planning Board Minutes
The Medfield Planning Board came into existence in 1924 and was established under Chapter 41 of the Massachusetts General Laws in 1951.
The Planning Board is an elected town board of five members, each with a five year term. The purpose of the Planning Board is to guide the development of the Town in the best interests of all its residents. The Board has very specific responsibilities and authorities as granted by Massachusetts General Laws and the Medfield Zoning By-Laws.
The Planning Board is responsible for the review and approval of all subdivisions (the division of a tract of land into two or more lots) through a comprehensive process involving review by relevant regulatory agencies, public hearings, covenants with developers, performance bonding, and ongoing compliance monitoring.
Under “Site Plan Approval”, in the Zoning By-Laws, the Board also has the responsibility to assure that prior to any new construction or significant changes to an existing structure, other than single family dwellings, such factors as community needs, abutters’ concerns, visual amenities, safety issues, and environmental and historic features on the site and in adjacent areas are considered.
Any requests for Zoning By-Law changes or amendments are also reviewed by the Board. Public hearings are held to allow input from any abutters or other interested citizens. The Board is required to provide a recommendation on any Zoning By-Law amendment at Town Meeting, where a two-thirds vote is required to approve the change.
The Planning Board serves as a resource to assist interested individuals with the process of proposing plans or projects under the Zoning By-Laws. Communications are maintained on an ongoing basis with related Town agencies including the Zoning Board of Appeals and other planning groups within the Town such as the Medfield State Hospital Master Planning Committee.
In June 2018, TRIC and SWAP met jointly in Medfield for conversation and a presentation by Francis Goyes, MAPC's Regional Housing and Land Use Planner, as part of the "Living Little" project, which investigates small housing typologies in the SWAP and TRIC subregions of the MAPC.
The “Living Little” report was finalized on June 1, 2018, following working meetings with the town planners of Foxborough, Medfield, Medway, Sherborn, and Stoughton. The final report includes analysis and accompanying case studies of smaller housing alternatives, such as detached accessible dwelling units, cottage developments, “tiny houses,” and “tiny home” clusters, as well as assessment of barriers to this kind of development, such as infrastructure, regulation, and health codes.
Update: Living Little Phase II kick off meeting Nov 2019.